How to analyze your mother answer hahaha

This is happened when I ask my mom's permission to hang out with my friend.
Ifti. : Ma can I go for a walk and watch aac muvi?
Mama: How is your paper getting along?
• implicature = you can if you have finished your paper.
• How is it created: via flouting.
•  the analysis of mama's answer from ifti's point of view:
1. M asked a Q re. progress of my paper (I understand its conventional M);
2. The Q does not appear to be a relevant answer to my Q for permission (i.e. violation of maxim of Relation)  [context of p]
3. But I still think that M is cooperative and tries to communicate with me; [CP]
4. If 1-3 are true, then I must look for another understanding q which will satisfy all the maxims;
5. Since prior knowledge of Mama's expectation tells me that I am expected to do my Cla paper before I can go, the q must be that I can go for a walk and watch aac movie if I have finished my paper; [background knowledge]
6. Now that q satisfies all the maxims, especially that of Relevance, it must be M's intention that I think q. Therefore, M's Q implicates q.

Now you know why i always late in responding someone questions hahahaha just kidding.

No comments:

Ads