Summary of Sentence Class

 Summary of Sentence Class

SENTENCE CLASS

IFTI LUTHVIANA DEWI

Formal types of sentence:

  1. Simple sentence : contains one main clause

e.g. did you get a newspaper?

  1. Compound sentence : contains 2 or more main clauses

e.g. I've tried all day || but I still can't get through.

  1. Complex sentence : contains a main clause and subordinate clause

e.g. What he thinks || is not important.

  1. Compound-complex sentence : contains 2 main clauses & at least 1 subordinate clause.

e.g. If you need a hand || give me a call || and I'll pop round.

 

The sentence as clause complex

The sentence can be combined and interacted with other sentences, such as paragraph and chapter. Coherent means the logical sequencing and interrelatedness of ideas. The writer would normally use the various grammatical devices of cohesion in order to help ensure that the coherence of the message content reads easily. Some linguists indeed choose to reserve the label 'sentence' for the unit of textual study. In such circumstances, clause complex would be the preferred term when discussing units of grammatical form.

 

Comments:

As far as I have read this chapter in Morley book, I think I do not have any difficulties in comprehending this part, since the books provided brief and simple explanation.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Ads