ETHNOGRAPHY ANALYSIS ON "MOANNA" MOVIE


BY: Ifti Luthviana Dewi

Title                 : Moana

Year                : 2016

Duration          : 1 hour 47 minutes

Genre              : animation, adventure-comedy

Picked scene   : 17:17 – 19:45

Dialogue

(arrived to the island safely)

M: Argh!

G: Whatever just happened, blame it on the pig.

M: Grandma! (Hide her wounded foot).

G: (saw the wounded foot and took a look at it)

M: Are you gonna tell dad?

G: I’m his mom. I don’t have to tell him anything.

M: Huh. (Exhale). He was right about going out there (saw the ocean). (saw the mountain) It’s time to put my stone on the mountain.

G: (look at moana) Okay. Well. Then head on back. (Approaching the mantas) Put that stone out there.

M: Hmm. Why aren’t you trying to stop me out of it?

G: You said that’s what you wanted.

M: It is.

G: When I died, I’m going to back as one of these. Or I choose the wrong tattoo.

M: Why are you acting weird?

G: I’m the village crazy lady. That’s my job.

M: Is there something you want to tell me? Just tell me. Is there something you want to tell me?

G: Is this something you want to hear?

 

Characters

·         Moana

·         Grandmother

Analysis

S (Setting)

Time : In the evening, after Moana swept by the waves.

Place : In the beach.

 

Situation of Moana:

The situation and the mood of the conversation is quite serious because she is not allowed to go outside the reef but she still go there. Then, she gets caught red-handed by her grandmother. She is afraid if her grandmother will tell her dad about it.

 

Situation Grandmother:

The situation and the mood of the conversation is easy going. She understands that her granddaughter loves to the ocean and wants to help the tribe. Yet, she is still afraid if her son will mad at her so she stays silent.

P (participant)

Moana

Moana is the only daughter of a tribe’s chief. She loves the ocean from her childhood. Yet, her father does not let her. She is the one whose fate is to return the heart of Tefiti together with a demi-God called as Maui.

Grandmother

She is the grandmother of Moana. The same as Moana, she loves the ocean. She is being called as the crazy woman of the tribe but actually she is a wise elderly. She loves to speak indirectly.

E (ends)

Grandma  : Whatever just happened, blame it on the pig.

Grandma : I’m his mom. I don’t have to tell him anything.

Grandma

By saying those, Grandma does not really want to matter the thing. She tries to make Moana feels calm after she got struck

Moana: Grandma! (Hide her wounded foot).

Moana: Are you gonna tell dad?

Moana

By saying those, Moana shows her afraidness that her grandmother will tell her dad that she tried to go to the ocean. It can be seen from the act of hiding her wounded foot.

Moana: Huh. (Exhale). He was right about going out there (saw the ocean). (saw the mountain) It’s time to put my stone on the mountain.

Moana

By saying this, she express that she is giving up about her dream to go beyond the reef and she will start trying to be the next chief. It can be seen from how she exhales before she speaks.

 Grandma: (look at moana) Okay. Well. Then head on back. (Approaching the mantas) Put that stone out there.

Grandma: You said that’s what you wanted.

Grandma

From the dialogues, it can be seen that she gives the choice fully to Moana. She will not forbid Moana to do what she wants even though she does not like it.

 Moana: Hmm. Why aren’t you trying to stop me out of it?

Moana: It is.

Moana

It can be seen that Moana feels awkward because of her grandma’s act. She feels that it is weird because her grandma always be the one who support her dream.

Grandma: When I died, I’m going to back as one of these. Or I choose the wrong tattoo.

Grandma: I’m the village crazy lady. That’s my job.

Grandma

From the dialogues, it can be seen that actually she wants to say something to Moana but she will not oblige her to listen. So, she starts to change the topic suddenly hoping Moana will understand. 

Moana: Why are you acting weird?

Moana: Is there something you want to tell me? Just tell me. Is there something you want to tell me?

Moana

It can be seen that Moana gets the gut. She feels weird about her grandma’s acting. So, she starts to ask if there is something her grandma wants to tell her. 

Grandma: Is this something you want to hear?

 Grandma

In this dialogue, the grandma finally expresses her reason behind her acts.

A (act sequences) 

(arrived to the island safely)

M: Argh!

G: Whatever just happened, blame it on the pig.

M: Grandma! (Hide her wounded foot).

G: (saw the wounded foot and took a look at it)

M: Are you gonna tell dad?

G: I’m his mom. I don’t have to tell him anything.

M: Huh. (Exhale). He was right about going out there (saw the ocean). (saw the mountain) It’s time to put my stone on the mountain.

G: (look at moana) Okay. Well. Then head on back. (Approaching the mantas) Put that stone out there.

M: Hmm. Why aren’t you trying to stop me out of it?

G: You said that’s what you wanted.

M: It is.

G: When I died, I’m going to back as one of these. Or I choose the wrong tattoo.

M: Why are you acting weird?

G: I’m the village crazy lady. That’s my job.

M: Is there something you want to tell me? Just tell me. Is there something you want to tell me?

G: Is this something you want to hear?

Moana

 

Expressive à She expressed her pain on her foot.

Interrogative à She asked that her grandma will tell her dad or not.

Representative à She told her believe of what she needs to do to her grandmother.

Expressive à She expressed her confusion why her grandmother did not stop her.

Directiveà She wanted her grandmother to tell her what she wants to say directly.

 

Grandma

Declarative à She asked Moana to blame her pig for her misery.

Representative à She said that she is Moana’s dad’s mom. So she does not have to tell him anything.

Expressive à She expressed her unwell feeling after listening to Moana’s decision to give up her dream but indirectly (she used sarcasm here).

Directive à She said that she is the village crazy lady but actually she wants Moana to ask her if there is something she wants to tell her.

Interrogative à She asked Moana if there is something she wants to hear from her.

K (key) 

The conversation on the scene shows a formal situation yet it is not too formal because the light atmosphere and the bond between Moana and her grandmother seemed so close. Yet, they were serious in the conversation because Moana wanted to give up on her dream but her grandmother did not want her to. 

I (Instrumentalities) 

From the conversation on the scene, we can see that the language used by the speakers is semi-formal. It can be seen from how Moana addressed her grandmother and father.

 

G: Whatever just happened, blame it on the pig.

M: Grandma! (Hide her wounded foot).

G: (saw the wounded foot and took a look at it)

M: Are you gonna tell dad?

G: I’m his mom. I don’t have to tell him anything.

N (Norms)

In the scene, Moana said, “It’s time to put my stone on the mountain.” It shows that in their culture, there is a tradition for the chief to place a stone on the mountain. Another cultural thing that can be seen is found in grandmother’s dialogue. She said, “When I died, I’m going to back as one of these. Or I choose the wrong tattoo.” It shows that in their culture, people will get tattoo that is believed to be their reincarnation form.

G (Genres)

Moana:

Her dialogues consist of expressive and representative sentences by which she expressed her feeling and her action toward the topic.

 

Grandmother:

The majority of her dialogues are indirect speech consisting of representative, expressive, and directive sentences. She seems to like Moana do something without asking Moana directly.

No comments:

Ads